The Art of Living Foundation is a volunteer-based, humanitarian and educational non-governmental organizations (NGO).  It was founded in 1981 by Ravi Shankar .  The Art of Living Foundation is spread over 156 countries. 
The Foundation is working with United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)  of the United Nations. The International Association for Human Values  is a partner NGO that Shankar founded, which focuses on the upliftment of human values at the grassroots level.
Art of Living Foundation (AOL) has its international headquarters in Bangalore , India at Ved Vignan Mahavidyapeeth or VVM campus (usually referred to as the Art of Living in the international facility in Bangalore, or the Bangalore Ashram) and has regional centers in more than 150 countries. In Europe, the organization is known as the Association for Inner Growth. The Foundation was founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar , and offers a variety of personal-development and trauma-relief programs around the world.
AOL has been an educational and humanitarian organization in the US since 1989. Accredited as a United Nations non-governmental organization in 1996, it works in special consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council, health, education, sustainable development, conflict resolution, and disaster relief.  The Art of Living is a DPI NGO (Department of Public Information), which plays an active role in communicating and contributing to various United Nations goals (such as UN Millennium Goals and the Stand Up Initiative). [ quote needed ]
The majority of the officers of the organization, along with most of its teachers and staff, are volunteers. Many humanitarian programs, disaster relief efforts, and training programs are conducted by the International Association for Human Values (IAHV).  [ better source needed ] Vyakti Vikas Kendra (India), The Art of Living Foundation (USA), Art Kunst des Lebens (Germany), Art of Living Center (Canada) South Africa, Art of Living Israel, Art of Living Brazil, and Art of Living Argentina.
The Foundation operates as a charitable organization conducting “Art of Living” stress-relief courses, based on yoga, breathing, and meditation. 
Guided by Sri Sri’s philosophy of peace, “The art of living offers stress-free mind and a violence-free society, the Art of Living offers several stress-elimination and self-development programs based mainly on breathing techniques. , meditation and yoga. Art of living, a telephonic hotline available 24/7, is a dedicated program to reduce suicidal tendencies. 
A number of medical studies on the organization’s core life-enhancing / trauma-relief techniques ( Sudarshan Kriya and its preparatory practices) have been published in international peer-reviewed journals. A Range of mental and physical benefits are Reported in thesis studies, Including Reduced levels of stress (Reduced cortisol-the “stress” hormone), Improved immune system, the relief from anxiety & depression  and Increased antioxidant protection, enhanced brain function ( increased mental focus, calmness and recovery from stressful stimuli), among other findings.  
The organization is involved in community services through its centers, and programs are taken by people of many traditions and religious backgrounds. Its basic principles are compatible with Vedic philosophy. 
In March 2014, the organization’s yoga center in Islamabad , Pakistan was burned down   followed by reports of threats issued to the organization by Taliban . 
According to the tax return filed by the American chapter, the AOL Foundation had total revenues of $ US5.5 million mainly $ US3.5 million from $ US million and $ US1.7 million from public support). July 2006 to June 2007. Net assets at the beginning of July 2007 amounted to $ US7.7 million.  EIN for the American chapter of the AOL Foundation is 77-0240101. 
Art of Living is in many social services globally. Its areas of work covers conflict resolution,  disaster and the relief trauma,   poverty alleviation, empowerment of women, prisoner rehabilitation,  Education for all, campaigns contre female feticide  and child labor and environment sustainability.  
In 2007, the foundation initiated the ‘Project Vidarbha -‘ Swavalamban program ‘. The love was to support, train and encourage farmers in severe drought hit regions to roll back their lives. Over 1000 volunteers provided training in organic farming, zero-budget farming, rainwater harvesting, hygiene, construction of toilets, etc. in addition to the Art of Living race. The program is officially backed up as a result of its success.  The Foundation Received Rs 1.4 Million Funding from the State Government Compared With Its Total Expenditure Of About Rs 7.5 Million, Some of Which Was Self-Funded, Most of It Was Raised From Its Corporate Donors.  A similar initiative was started to educate farmers in Andhra Pradeshto implement ‘zero budget farming’ to end suicides. 
In partnership with the United Nations Millennium Campaign and the United Nations Environment Program the ‘Green Earth Mission Stand Up Take Action’ campaign was launched in 2008 with a goal to plant 100 million trees across the world to help reduce global warming and protect the environment. Art of Living had already started tree plantations across India as part of its Mission Green Earth campaign to support the Millennium Development Goals of the UN.    In 2010, in Bangladesh the foundation participated in the ‘Billion Tree Campaign’ started by United Nations Environment Program.  
A three-year program to rejuvenate the Kumudavathi river (in Bangalore) was initiated by the foundation under its ‘Volunteer for Better India’ campaign in collaboration with civic authorities and environmentalists in February 2013. “The project aims to address the water shortage problems through rainwater harvesting, increasing green cover and desilting existing step wells, among other methods. ” Volunteers join the villagers every Sunday to participate in these activities under the guidance of a geological scientist.   To create awareness about this program, the Art of Living, Ravi Shankar joined by other NGOs, prominent citizens, along with many farmers and walkers in Bangalore City. Apart from Reviving Some Water bodies used by birds and animals,  the project revived five water-recharge wells, constructed 74 boulder checks, cleaned up 18 step wells and planted 2,350 saplings in seven villages by June 2014. 
Volunteer For a Better India
The Art of Living, Volunteer for a Better India (VFABI) on VFABI on December 5, 2012. VFABI is involved in many activities, including protests against the 2012 Delhi gang rape case . 
In May 2013, through one hundred eight free health Organized in cooperation with the camps Indian Medical Association , 1,634 volontaires distributed medicines worth Rs. 2.2 million under the guidance of 262 doctors to over 20,000 slum dwellers in Delhi. 
In September 2013, the ‘I vote for better India’ initiative was launched to raise awareness of the importance of voting towards the nation.  In the city of Pune around 500 volunteers have covered more than 400 housing societies, 60 firms and 30 colleges enrolling over 35,000 people in the voters’ list.  Students of the YCCE College in Nagpur registered with their family and friends for voting identity cards. 
Sri Sri University
Sri Sri University in Odisha was established in 2009 on the initiative of Ravi Shankar.  The school won a Best Innovative University Award at the 2017 National Education Excellence Awards. 
Art of living organizes courses based on breathing exercises and meditation. Sudarshan Kriya is the pivot of the majority of the art of living races,  which is conducted by instructors, some of whom do voluntary work.  These races were also conducted for faculty,  government officials,  firemen,  ex-activists,  and prisoners. 
Musical concerts and dance events
The Art of Living has entered the Guinness Book of Records for a Mohiniyattam dance organized in Cochin   The performance has been awarded to the world record for the most people performing at Mohiniyattam dance, the traditional Kerala dance form. 
The organization organized a sitar concert “Brahm Naad” which also introduced Guinness Book of Records .   The proceeds of the event went to rehabilitation of the victims of the Bihar Floods. 
“Taal Ninaad” held on 17 January 2012 at Sholapur, which included 1230 tablas and 318 pakhavaj also entered the Guinness Book of Records.  
On May 16, 2012, The Art of Living Foundation, organized in a cultural evening in Hall 1 of the National Palace of Culture, NDK, in downtown Sofia, Bulgaria, where 333 Bulgarian bagpipers played at 9.13 minutes. The youngest player was 9 years old and the oldest player was 80 years old. 
Mass recital of Jnanappana , a devotional poem written by the 16th century Malayalam poet Poonthanam , organized by the foundation on 2 February 2014, has also found place in the Guinness Book of World Records.  
Settlement with anonymous bloggers
In 2010, Art of Living has two anonymous bloggers, “Skywalker” and “Klim”, accusing them of defamation, trade libel, copyright infringement and disclosure trade secrets. Claiming to be trained teachers / followers in the organization they created critical blogs of Art of Living. Art of Living’s request to unmask Skywalker and Klim’s identities was denied. Further, the judge allowed the trade secrets claim to go to trial. 
In 2012, Art of Living and the bloggers reached a settlement, which was compensated by the bloggers’ attorneys fees, and agreed to never again prosecute Skywalker, Klim, or any of their contributors. [ better source needed ] Skywalker and Klim agreed to freeze their existing blogs.  
Alleged land encroachment
In 2011 a public-interest litigation petition was filed in the high court alleging that The irrigation department of the state government of Karnataka inspected the area and found that it had encroached  on 6.53 hectares (16.1 acres) of the tank area.
A show cause notice was issued to the foundation by the state government.  
World Culture Festival on Yamuna flood plains
Art of Living Foundation Organized World Culture Festival starting on 11 March 2016 held on the Yamuna Flood plains. A committee appointed by the National Green Tribunal (NGT) recommended a fine of Rs 1,200 million on Yamuna flood plains.  The fine was reduced to Rs 50 million, no such events will be allowed at the location in future.  The Foundation was originally refused to pay the fine. Sri Sri Ravishankar said he would rather go to prison than pay the fine.  However, on June 4, 2016, NGT directed the funding. 
- Jump up^ “Art of Living Foundation” . Artofliving.org. Archived from the original on May 2, 2010 . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- Jump up^ FAQ
- Jump up^ “Art of Living Foundation” . GuideStar USA, Inc . Retrieved 20 September 2013 .
- Jump up^ “No business, like God business: India’s godmen find spirituality to be profitable” . DNA . Sep 15, 2013 . Retrieved 20 September 2013 .
- Jump up^ http://indiatoday.intoday.in/education/story/sri-sri-ravi-shankars-59th-birthday-10-interesting-facts/1/437746.html
- Jump up^ “Art of Living Facts” . Esango.un.org . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- Jump up^ “The International Association of Human Values” . Iahv.org. Archivedfrom the original on 14 July 2010 . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- Jump up^ “United Nations – Department of Economic and Social Affairs – NGO Section” . Un.org. Archived from the original on 1 May 2011 . Retrieved 18 March 2011 .
- Jump up^ “School for tsunami affected children inaugurated in Tamil Nadu” . THE TIMES OF INDIA . 21 Jul 2007 . Retrieved 30 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ Gautier, Francois. The Guru of Joy. New York:Hay House, 2008.
- Jump up^ “Hope Project – World Alliance for Youth Empowerment”. [ full quote needed ]
- Jump up^ Janakiramaiah N; Gangadhar BN; Naga Venkatesha Murthy PJ; Harish MG; Subbakrishna DK; Vedamurthachar A (2000). “Antidepressant efficacy of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) in melancholia: a randomized comparison with electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and imipramine”. J Affect Disord . 57(1-3): 255-9. doi : 10.1016 / s0165-0327 (99) 00079-8 . PMID 10708840.
- Jump up^ Gautier, Francois. The Guru of Joy. New York: Hay House, 2008. p. 155-164.
- Jump up^ Scientific Research on Art of Living Practiceshttp://www.aolresearch.org/published_research.html
- Jump up^ Melton, J. Gordon (2003),Encyclopedia of American Religions(Seventh edition). Farmington Hills, Michigan: The Gale Group, Inc., p. 1004.ISBN 0-7876-6384-0
- Jump up^ “Police Investigating If Yoga Center Was Targeted Due To Links To India And Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Founder” . Newsweek . AG Publications. Newsweek. March 10, 2014 . Retrieved 25 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Did Pakistan Debate TV Prompt Burning of Yoga Center?” . NBC News. March 10, 2014 . Retrieved 25 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Taliban Threatens Art of Living Volunteers in Pakistan: AOL” . Outlook . Retrieved 25 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Art of Living Foundation, Fairfield, IA – Return of Exempt Organization from Income Tax, IRS 2006” (PDF) . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- Jump up^ http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/77-0240101/art-living-foundation.aspx
- Jump up^ “Unesco – Conflict Resolution And” The Art Of Living In Peace ” ” . Portal.unesco.org . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Art of Living providing trauma relief in China” . Thaindian.com. 3 June 2008 . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- Jump up^ “Art of Living trauma relief through broadcast in China” . Thaindian.com. 3 June 2008 . Retrieved 20 July 2010 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Walker, Andrew (24 December 2008). “South African prisoners embrace yoga” . BBC News.
- Jump up^ “Voices Against Female Feticide filed by: Nirmala” . The Times of India . Sep 13, 2009.
- Jump up^ “SAIL’s CSR drive a boon for farmers” . The Times of India . August 21, 2009.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “AoL project to tackle global warming” . The Times of India . Mar 14, 2009.
- Jump up^ “Art of Living rescues Vidarbha farmers” . DNA . 2 Apr 2007.
- Jump up^ “After loan waiver, no Art of Living course for Vidarbha farmers”. The Indian Express. 27 June 2008.
- Jump up^ “Sri Sri to help AP farmers” . Times of India . January 7, 2008 . Retrieved 11 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Art of Living launches ‘Green Earth Mission Stand Up Take Action ‘ ” . news.oneindia.in . Retrieved 11 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Students take up ‘Green Earth Mission ‘ ” . The Hindu . Chennai, India. October 4, 2008 . Retrieved 11 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Planting a billion trees” . The Daily Star . Retrieved 11 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “News from the Campaign” . United Nations Environment Program. Archived from the original on 13 May 2012 . Retrieved 11 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Art of Living initiates Kumudvathi River rejuvenation program” . Times of India . March 18, 2013 . Retrieved 23 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Hoping for more water” . The New Indian Express . 22 June 2013 . Retrieved 23 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Kumudvathi revival plan draws citizens’ interest” . DNA . 9 June 2013 . Retrieved 23 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Ravi Shankar leads walkathon for water” . Business Standard . 8 June 2013 . Retrieved 23 June 2013 .
- Jump up^ “He criminal tames instincts in jailbirds” . Times of India . Times of India. TNN. 9 June 2014 . Retrieved 25 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Mumbai, Mumbai, India . The Times Of India . 21 December 2012.
- Jump up^ “Free health camps for slum dwellers by Art of Living” . Business Standard . May 10, 2013 . Retrieved 29 July 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Foundation urges citizens to vote” . The Times of India . Oct 15, 2013 . Retrieved 28 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “NGO volunteers enrol 35,000 people in voters’ list” . Sakal Times . 1 November 2013 . Retrieved 28 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “YCCE Supports” I Vote For Better India “Campaign” . Nagpur Today . Oct 11, 2013 . Retrieved 28 November 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Sri Sri University – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar” . www.srisriuniversity.edu.in . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Best Innovative University Award for Sri Sri University” . United News of India. January 23, 2017 . Retrieved 21 April 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Pranayam lessons for Mumbai firemen” . The Times of India . February 4, 2013 . Retrieved 1 August 2013 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Naseer, Briana (4 March 2013). “USF community learns ‘The Art of Living ‘ ” . www.usforacle.com . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ “30 state officials try to master Art of Living without stress” . The Times of India . June 14, 2003 . Retrieved 1 August 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Ex-rebels head for meditation races” . The Times of India . Mar 12, 2012 . Retrieved 1 August 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Mohiniyattam dance enters Guinness Book” . Hindustan Times . December 10, 2007 . Retrieved 18 March 2011 .
- Jump up^ “A Guinness Record 1200 dancers and Art of Living – Trends News – IBNLive” . Ibnlive.in.com. February 3, 2010 . Retrieved 18 March 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Largest mohiniyattam dance” . www.guinnessworldrecords.com . November 28, 2006 . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Largest Sitar Together” . Guinness World Records. 21 November 2008.
- ^ Jump up to:a b “A musical treat: 1000 sitar orchestra” . The Times of India . 22 November 2008.
- Jump up^ “Largest dhol drum together” . www.guinnessworldrecords.com . February 21, 2011 . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ Largest hand drum together
- Jump up^ May, Theresa (17 May 2012). “333 Bulgarian Bagpipers Break Guinness Record” . www.novinite.com . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ “MOST PEOPLE READING ALOUD SIMULTANEOUSLY – SINGLE LOCATION” . Guinness World Records Limited . Retrieved 25 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Guinness Mass Records Recital of devotional poem” . IBNLive. 21 June 2014 . Retrieved 25 June 2014 .
- Jump up^ “Unmasking The Art of Living” . East Bay Express. 6 June 2010 . Retrieved 7 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Blogger vs. Alleged Cult Case Ends in Favorable Settlement” . East Bay Express. 26 June 2012 . Retrieved 7 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Art of Living Foundation v. Does 1-10” . Citizen Media Law Project.
- Jump up^ encroached
- Jump up^ “AoL has encroached tank” . The Hindu . Chennai, India. December 16, 2011 . Retrieved 17 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ “Sri Sri Ravishankar grabs Rs 50 cr land illegally in K’taka?” . OneIndia News . Retrieved 17 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ Dasgupta, Piyasree (28 February 2016). “Sri Sri Ravi Shankar’s Art Of Living Fined Foundation 120 Crore For Ecological Damage” . www.huffingtonpost.in . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ Express Web Desk (10 March 2016). “Sri Sri Ravi Shankar event gets nod NGT, Art of Living fined Rs 5 crore” . indianexpress.com . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ TNN (11 March 2016). “Sri Sri Ravi Shankar: Will go to jail, but will not pay Rs 5 crore fine, NGT fixed deadline” . timesofindia.indiatimes.com . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .
- Jump up^ “Sri Sri Ravi Shankar gives in, Yamuna fine country” . www.asianage.com . 7 June 2017 . Retrieved 26 April 2017 .