The Global Enrichment Foundation (GEF) is a humanitarian organization. Founded by Amanda Lindhout in May 2010, it is dedicated to empowering women in developing and conflict-ridden countries. 
In 2010, Lindhout founded the Global Enrichment Foundation to create more opportunities in Somalia by offering university scholarships to women. Lindhout currently serves as the Executive Director, with Ahmed Hussen, president of the Canadian Somali Congress, acting as the foundation’s co-director.  Aurala Warsame, a Somali researcher at the University of Alberta in Edmonton , supervises the program and vetted the first applicants. 
In spite of this, what is the Foundation despite its ordeal? Lindhout told the CBC ‘s The National “Why do you have to go back to the […] Because I had something very, very big and very painful to forgive, and by choosing to do what, I was able to put into place my vision, which was making Somalia has better place […] I have never questioned whether or not it was the right thing to […] What else to do after the experience that I had, like something like this? ” 
Somalia, the GEF Somali Women’s Scholarship Program (SWSP) Somalia on a contribution basis.  Lindhout’s foundation AIMS to Annually send 100 women in the country to university for the next four years,  and is sponsoring tertiary education for 36 women, Who are expected to go one to Become teachers, doctors, environmentalists and engineers, among other professions. The GEF also started the SHE WILL micro-loan initiative to financially empower widows and other Somali women. 
In response to the 2011 Eastern Africa drought , the GEF put into motion its Convoy for Hope program.  The initiative received a $ 1 million donation from the Chobani Yoghurt company.  As part of the GEF, teachers with the Memorial Composite also raised funds to the Sankaroos women’s basketball team of Abaarso School in Somalia,   and a group of high school students in Alberta raised over $ 23,000 to support the GEF’s educational work. 
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Amanda Lindhout Forgives Captors” . CBC . August 24, 2010.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Woods, Allan (25 May 2010). “Amanda Lindhout Speaks out for women in Somalia” . Toronto Star .
- Jump up^ Somali Women’s ArchivedScholarship Program2013-01-13 at theWayback Machine.
- ^ Jump up to:a b Amanda Lindhout – GEF Archived 2012-04-05 at the Wayback Machine .
- Jump up^ Convoy for ArchivedHope2013-08-10 at theWayback Machine.
- Jump up^ “Chobani Pledges $ 1 million to Famine Relief in Africa” .
- Jump up^ Teachers spread hope through sport
- Jump up^ “Students answer to empower women half a world away” .