Malteser International is an international non-governmental aid agency for humanitarian aid of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta .  Developed in 2005 from the foreign aid service of Malteser Germany (founded 1953), and having the status of an independent eingetragener Verein since 2013, the agency has more than 50 years of experience in humanitarian relief.  It currently implements around 100 projects in over 20 countries in Africa , Asia and the Americas . The organization has its headquarters in Europe and the Americas, and its General Secretariat is located in Cologne, Germany . The membership of Malteser International consists of 27 national associations and priorities of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta, who are responsible for supporting the organization within their jurisdiction. 
In 1992, the foreign aid department of Maltese Germany combined forces with other relief services of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta around the world to the Emergency Corps of the Order of Malta (ECOM). ECOM provided relief after natural and man-made disasters, such as the Kosovo War (1998-1999) and the 2003 Bam earthquake in Iran .  Malteser International was created to replace the Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami in the Indian Ocean , broadening its mission to include long-term rehabilitation and development programs.. 
Some of the organization’s most important deployments include: 
- 1956: Refugee helps the border of Austria and Hungary
- 1966-1975: Refugee aid in Vietnam
- Since 1979 Refugee aid in Thailand (for refugees coming from Neighboring countries)
- Since 1980: transport of humanitarian aid to Central and Eastern Europe
- 1989: humanitarian aid for East German refugees in Budapest
- 1994-1996: Aid to Rwanda
- 1999: Kosovo War
- Since 2001: Emergency relief and reconstruction in Myanmar
- 2004: Refugee aid in Darfur , Sudan
- 2005: 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake and tsunami relief in South and Southeast Asia
- 2010: Relief after the 2010 Haiti earthquake and 2010 Chile earthquake , flood relief in Pakistan
- 2011: Earthquake relief in Japan , drought relief in northern Kenya
- Since 2012: Relief for people affected by conflict in Syria , and neighboring countries.
- Since 2014: Aid for refugees in South Sudan and displaced people in northern Iraq
- 2015: Relief following the 2015 Nepal earthquake
The National Associations and Priories of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta are currently members of Malteser International. Their representatives, together with the board of directors, the secretary-general, the vice-secretary general and the chaplain of Malteser International, form the General Assembly. The Board of Directors consists of the President and up to six Vice-Presidents. The Secretary General is in charge of the operational activities in line with the budget and the strategy of Malteser International. 
Malteser International is committed by its statutes to helping people of the world without distinction of religion , race or political persuasion. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence are the foundation of its work. Despite being a Catholic organization, Malteser International also works in non-Christian countries and employs workers from various religious backgrounds in its projects.  The overwhelming majority of Malteser International’s more than 980 staff members are local people,  while the organization works closely with local partner organizations, including other Order of Maltaorganizations, religious and non-religious organizations, and church structures in its project countries. Malteser International adhered to Several Internationally reconnu codes and standards, Such As the “Code of Conduct” (Principles of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and NGOs in Disaster Response Programs) and the ” Sphere Project “. 
Figures [ edit ]
Project volume 2016: € 48.9 million
- Africa : € 9.5 million
- Asia : € 31 million
- Americas : € 2.2 million
- Europe : € 3 million
- Management and administration costs € 3 million
International partnerships [ edit ]
Malteser International is a member of:
- Aktion Deutschland Hilft
- People In Aid
- German WASH-Netzwerk
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Bylaws of Malteser International” (PDF) . Malteser International.org . Malteser International. February 29, 2008 . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c “Malteser International Timeline” . Malteser International.org . Malteser International . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Malteser International Annual Report 2016” (PDF) . Malteser International.org . Malteser International. July 2017 . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Structure of Malteser International” . Malteser International.org . Malteser International . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Malteser International Team” . Malteser International.org . Malteser International . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Emergency Relief in Nepal” . Malteser International.org . Malteser International . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .
- Jump up^ “Malteser International Partners” . Malteser International.org . Malteser International . Retrieved 12 September 2016 .