Mercy Corps is a global humanitarian aid company that has experienced some sort of shock: natural disaster , economic collapse , or conflict .
The organization Was founded in 1979 as Save the Refugees Fund, Task Force Organized by Dan O’Neill in response to the plight of Cambodian Refugees fleeing the famine , war and genocide of the Killing Fields . By 1982, Ellsworth Culver (Mercy Corps co-founder), and was renamed Mercy Corps International to reflect their broader mission. After a shift of just providing business support to the market, Mercy Corps’ first development project began in Honduras in 1982.
As of 2009 , Mercy Corps’ global headquarters are now located in the Old Town neighborhood of Portland, Oregon, at 45 SW Ankeny St. 97204. Opened October 9, 2009, the building houses the agency’s headquarters, The Mercy Corps Action Center companion center to The Action Center to End Hunger World opened, October 2009 in Manhattan), and Mercy Corps Northwest.
Mercy Corps also has a European Headquarters at 40 Sciennes, Edinburgh, Scotland EH9 1NJ. In 1996 Mercy Corps with Scottish European Aid and formed an organization registered as Mercy Corps Scotland in 2000.
Mercy Corps Northwest
The US economic development office of Mercy Corps assists low-income Individuals in Oregon and Washington-have difficulty receiving send Who loans due to credit history, Lack of collateral , or unfortunate Circumstances. The loan program provides financing to entrepreneurs with solid business proposals and assists them to craft business plans and establish a matched savings account. Mercy Corps Northwest acts as a small business incubator and mentors new business owners through the start-up phase. MCNW also makes it easy to create jobs for low-income people. 
Partnering with Banks and Founding Banking Institutions, Mercy Corps facilitates microfinance around the world. 
Mercy Corps bank affiliates and area of operation:
- XacBank, Mongolia
- Partner (Partner Microcredit Organization), Bosnia and Herzegovina
- IMON International, Tajikistan
- Kompanion Financial Group LLC, Kyrgyzstan
- ACF (Asian Credit Fund), Kazakhstan
- AFS (Ariana Financial Services Group), Kabul
- AfK (Agency for Finance), Kosovo
- CFPA (Chinese Foundation for Poverty Alleviation), China
- MICRA (Microfinance Innovation Center for Resources and Alternatives), Indonesia
- MAXIS (Maximizing Financial Access and Innovation at Scale) Indonesia and the Philippines
- Bank Andara, Indonesia
- PATRA (Poverty Alleviation in the Tumen River Area), China
- Borshud, Tajikistan
- Community Health and Microcredit (CHAM), Guatemala
Operations began in 2001 with a mother and child program at a health center. Mercy Corps expanded its work to mediating land conflicts. Nuevo Amanacer is one of several communities where Mercy Corps works to resolve disagreements over land and connect small-scale farmers to retail markets. The Inclusive Market Alliance for Rural Entrepreneurs was established by Mercy Corps, USAID , Walmart and Fundacion AGIL. The alliance assists farmers to grow from the bottom line to the bottom line of Walmart in Central America.  The Guatemala program operates out of Cobán , Alta Verapaz , with three sub-offices in Tucurú , Alta Verapaz,Nebaj , Quiche, and Guatemala City . 
Democratic Republic of Congo
To reduce violence against Congolese women in the Congo River basin forest, the Mercy Corps introduced a fuel-efficient stove that requires less firewood. The stoves made from local clay, sand, and brick fries. Mercy Body teaches women how to make briquettes from manureand refuse which burn cleaner than charcoal. Local production of stoves and briquettes provides a way for women to make additional income and reduce the number of trips outside the relative safety of the village. Reduction of carbon emissions through the use of high-efficiency stoves has generated $ 160,000 worth of credits in the carbon market. Mercy Corps reinvests the proceeds in the education of Congolese women. 
In North Korea , Mercy Corps began work in 1996. Mercy Corps has moved from food to farming and cross-cultural exchange. The efforts Involves aid workers living in Pyongyang , and in Chagang and North Pyongan provinces to visit families, monitor distribution for Assessment and impact. 
After Cyclone Nargis in 2008, Mercy Corps arranged the shipment of aid with the help of donations from DHL  and Chevron Corporation .  Government resistance to foreign aid supplies and the relief workers kept confined to Rangoon .  Mercy Corps affiliated itself with Merlin, a British medical aid group which had a memorandum of understanding with the government.  Burmese staff who are more able to move around obstacles created by the authoritarian regime. Mercy Corps implemented “cash for work” programs paying residents to clean up flood-damaged villages and replant rice paddies. 
During the Syrian Civil War , Mercy Corps has provided food, water, and shelter for millions of residents of refugees of 2017.  Since 2013, the group has delivered more than 1.7 million civilians in Syria, including more than 350,000 in southern Syria around Damascus . However, on April 30, 2014, Mercy Corps ceased operations in Damascus after the Syrian government denied requests by Syrian opposition -controlled areas. 
The group also operates in northern Syria and Turkey , where more than 3 million Syrian refugees are located. In March 2017, however, the government of Turkey has been operating in Turkey. 
The agency’s efficiency has helped Mercy Corps to achieve Charity Navigator’s “Four-Star” charity rating (out of four possible stars).  In 2016, the rating has been reduced to three stars.
For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2006, Mercy Corps’ income was US $ 205 million. US $ 81 million (40%) was from government grants . US $ 63 million (31%) was in-kind donations (“material aid”) in the form of food, medical, linens, and other supplies and services. Mercy Corps’ expenses were US $ 191 million, which was paid primarily for the program and included 3,200 paid staff. Mercy Corps’ total assets in 2006 were over US $ 98 million.
Mercy Corps is a non-governmental organization (NGO). Neal Keny-Guyer is the current Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Mercy Corps Incorporated the Conflict Management Group founded by Roger Fisher in 2004.  In 2007, Mercy Corps incorporated NetAid to expand its ongoing efforts to engage youth. 
Mercy Corps was also one of the first members of the NetHope nonprofit IT . 
Awards and distinctions
Awards and distinctions include:
- The Sitara-i-Eisaar (Star of Sacrifice) award, presented by the President of Pakistan, General Pervez Musharraf , in recognition of Mercy Corps’ relief efforts following the 2005 Kashmir earthquake . 
- The Friendship Medal , presented posthumously to Mercy Corps co-founder Ellsworth Culver , by North Korean Ambassador Han Song Ryol – the first time that was presented to an American .; 
- The 2003 Kahlil Gibran Spirit of Humanity Award, presented by the Arab American Institute Foundation for long-term efforts to help families living in the Arab world. 
- In 2008 Mercy Corps got “Aceh-Nias” and “Sharing the Lesson” from President of the Republic of Indonesia Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono
- Jump up^ Portland Monthly Magazine / Arts & Entertainment / Arts & Entertainment Articles / Detail
- Jump up^ Microfinance Partners | Mercy Corps
- Jump up^http://guatemala.usembassy.gov/uploads/w0/iG/…/IMAREReleaseEng.pdf
- Jump up^ International Development – Global Goes Local Goes Local in Guatemala
- Jump up^ Heim, Kristi (2009-12-24). “Stoves to violence against women and the environment” . The Seattle Times .
- Jump up^ Mercy Corps helps get help to N. Korea – OregonLive.com
- Jump up^ Mercy Corps on DHL to ship emergency supplies worth $ 1 million from Portland to Myanmar and China
- Jump up^ Goldman Sachs | Media – Corporate Donations Bolster Mercy Corps’ Dual Emergency Response Efforts
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Burmese Bloggers w / o Borders: Firsthand tale of Burma Relief frustrations
- Jump up^ Snubbed US Mercy Ships Abandon Burma Mission | Mail Online
- Jump up^ Neal Keny-Guyer (22 January 2017). “Mercy Corps: The Peace Syria Needs” . Mercy Corps .
- Jump up^ “Aid group Mercy Corps forced to close Damascus operations” . The Guardian . May 23, 2014.
- Jump up^ “Turkey tells Oregon-based Mercy Corps to stop its program that helps Syrians” . Washington Post . March 7, 2017.
- Jump up^ “Charity Navigator Rating – Mercy Corps” . Charity Navigator . Retrieved 2009-12-12 .
- Jump up^ Robert Perito (2007). Guide for Participants in Peace, Stability, and Relief Operations . United States Institute of Peace Press. p. 143. ISBN 978-1-60127-000-9 .
- Jump up^ “Mercy Corps and NetAid Join Forces” . Mercy Corps. January 2007.
- Jump up^ About UsOfficial NetHope website.
- Jump up^ “Musharraf confers awards on outstanding Americans for relief work in quake-stricken areas” (Press release). Office of the Press Secretary to the President. 2006-09-22 . Retrieved 2007-11-13 .
- Jump up^ “Pyongyang medal to American aid worker awards” . The Guardian . London. Associated Press. 2006-01-16 . Retrieved 2007-11-12 .
- Jump up^ Nino Kader . “Arab Foundation Recognize Awards” Spirit of Humanity “” . US Department of State . Retrieved 2007-11-12 .