Operation USA (Also Known As OpUSA, Operation California, gold OpCal) is a non-profit humanitarian organization dedicated to helping communities Alleviate the effects of disaster , disease , and endemic poverty Throughout The World by providing good privately funded relief reconstruction, humanitarian aid and development help . It is exclusively privately funded, receiving no assistance from the United States federal government. OPUSA had a revenue of over $ 22 million in fiscal year 2012 and has shipped over $ 425 million worth of “high-priority medical, nutritional and shelter supplies” since its inception, including shipments to Haiti, Japan, Chile, Kenya and Pakistan in 2011 2011.  
Awards and affiliations
Operation USA was part of the International Campaign to Ban Landmines in 1997 when it won the Nobel Peace Prize .   Operation California was also the winner of the 1983 President’s Volunteer Action Award .  Operation USA has been named one of America’s Best 100 Charities by Worth Magazine  and, in October 2008, was named the top-rated “privately funded charity in the US”  by Charity Navigator. Operation USA collaborated with NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the US National Laboratories at Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos to develop new approaches to land minedetection,  is a member of InterAction ,  and is an AlertNet news partner.  In 2014 Operation USA’s CEO Richard M. Walden received the Honeywell Hometown Hero Award from the Honeywell Corp.
Operation California began in 1979 as “a relief organization to Vietnamese Boat People and Cambodian Refugees”,  co-founded by Richard Walden (still active as President & CEO) and Llewellyn Werner (who left in early 1980) . The organization flew “the first international relief airlift to Cambodia since 1975”,  delivering medicine to Phnom-Penh . Operation California had airlifted more than $ 3 million worth of aid by October 1979.    
Since then, Operation USA has become a highly acclaimed aid organization that is involved in helping people in different ways around the world. In 1982, Operation California sent “the first private airlift from the US to Poland “, delivering 200,000 lbs. of medical supplies and medicine;  That year Operation California also airlifted medical supplies to Lebanon .  In 1983, Operation California delivered to the children of Vietnam and Cambodia .  California Operation provided to the earthquake victims in Mexico City in 1985, as well as working in cooperation with the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee and Oxfam America , to deliver $ 250,000 worth of medical aid to Nicaragua .   In 1986 Operation California, in conjunction with Medical Aid to El Salvador feels “[t] wo cargo plane carrying $ 500,000 worth of the relief supplies to earthquake-stricken El Salvador .” 
In 1988, Operation California began using the name Operation USA because it was described by the American people.  In 1989 Operation USA facilitated operations on children in Vietnam who had cleft palates by Los Angeles-based plastic surgeon, Dr. Stanley Frileck .  Medical aid and rebuilding effort was delivered to Mexico in 1990, by OPUSA.  In 1991 OPUSA delivered aid to Bangladesh .  OpUSA Delivered aid to war torn Somali’s in 1993.  In 1994 OpUSA Relief Provided earthquake. In 1995 Hurricane Mitch Survivors in Honduras and Nicaragua .  In 1999 OpUSA supplied to victims in Mexico .  In 2003 OpUSA delivered to Iraq War victims in the Persian Gulf .  The tsunami victims in Sri Lankaand Indonesia were aided by OpUSA in 2004,  and Mexico City Flood victims. 
In 2008, OpUSA has delivered to Myanmar cyclone victims  and Chinese earthquake victims  and flood victims in the Midwest , USA . 
In 2015, OpUsa partners with UniversalGiving to raise funds for its project, which is to deliver to Nepal earthquake victims and rebuild schools.
Operation USA, since the early 1980s, has relied on fundraising efforts featuring singers and celebrities. These include concerts, dinners, and other events. These promotions have featured:
- Barbra Streisand 
- Bonnie Raitt 
- Carol Burnett 
- Crosby, Stills & Nash 
- Don Henley
- Ed Asner 
- Frank Sinatra  
- Jack Elliot 
- Jackson Browne  
- James Garner 
- John Denver  
- Julie Andrews   
- Kirk Douglas 
- Michael Jackson 
- New American Orchestra 
- Plácido Domingo  
- Ricardo Montalban 
- Ry Cooder  
- Sharon Stone 
- The Buena Vista Social Club 
- Tony Adams 
Rosario Dawson traveled with Operation USA to Nicaragua in 2008. George Hamilton assisted with relief to the Philippines Typhoon Haiyan in 2013 as did Barbra Streisand, Rosario Dawson, Jackson Browne, Bill Maher and Judd Apatow.
Film and theater projects
Operation USA also links to film and theater
- Because We Care ( CBS Television Special) 
- Beyond Borders (Hollywood) 
- Buena Vista Social Club (movie) (Hollywood & Havana ) 
- Fidel (movie) (Hollywood for Showtime )
- Mary Poppins (musical) (London stage)
- Miss Saigon ( Hollywood )
- Roll Bounce 
- The Killing Fields (movie) (Hollywood & Cambodia ) 
- Victor / Victoria ( Broadway )
- Eloise at The Plaza (Disney TV)
- Jump up^ “OpUSA Shipments” . Operation USA . Archived from the originalon 2008-03-07 . Retrieved 2011-09-28 .
- Jump up^ “Charity Navigator – Operation USA” . Charity Navigator . Retrieved 2009-02-16 .
- Jump up^ Robert Scheer (1997-10-14). “Banning Land Mines is a No-Brainer, Clinton still has his backbone, follow his instincts and sign the Ottawa treaty” . Los Angeles Times . p. 7 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Kenneth Jones (2005-10-24). “Tony Adams, Film, TV and Stage Producer, Dead at 52” . Playbill News . Retrieved 2008-06-07 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Operation USA Affiliations and Awards” . Operation USA . Archived from the original on 2006-10-02 . Retrieved 2009-02-09 .
- Jump up^ “10 Highly Rated Relying Charities on Private Contributions” . Charity Navigator . Retrieved 2009-02-017 . Check date values in:( help )
- ^ Jump up to:a b Amy Fredette (1996-03-06). “Operation Jackson Browne” . Arizona Daily Wildcat . Retrieved 2008-06-06 . [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Reuters AlertNet – News partners” . Reuters . Retrieved 2008-06-07 .
- Jump up^ Freeman, Rena (1980-06-11). “Human Kindness” . Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Operation USA history” . Operation USA . Archived from the original on 2008-03-29 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ ROBERT J. CAMPBELL (1979-10-25). “Students Form Group to Aid Cambodia: Lobbying Plan, Petitions, Fast, and Concert” . The Harvard Crimson . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Operation California Bidding a Benefit” . Time Magazine . 1979-12-10. Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Neglect Brown Assails’ In Relief for Cambodia” . The New York Times . 1979-12-06 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “There Is Nothing, Sir” . Time Magazine . 1979-12-10 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Operation California Bidding a Benefit” . PR Newswire . 1982-02-17. p. LexisNexis . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ KATHLEEN HENDRIX (1989-09-12). “Airlift to Beirut: Relief and Red Tape.” California Operation Finally Manages to Get Medical Supplies to Lebanon . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ Jody Jacobs (1983-11-02). “Operation California Bidding a Benefit” . Los Angeles Times . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Operation USA Appeals For Public Support To Aid Victims Of South Mexico Floods” . Reuters . 2007-11-03 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Aid for Nicaragua” . The Washington Post . 1985-07-06. p. A14 . Retrieved 2008-06-09 .
- Jump up^ “No Title” . PR Newswire . 1985-07-03 . Retrieved 2008-06-09 .
- Jump up^ “Quake Relief Groups Allowed To Land At San Salvador Airport” . The Associated Press . 1986-10-18 . Retrieved 2008-06-09 .
- Jump up^ “US medical team operates on Vietnamese children” . United Press International . 1989-03-15 . Retrieved 2008-06-09 .
- Jump up^ Shannon, Don (1990-06-01). Los Angeles Times . p. 14https://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/latimes/access/60065143.html?dids=60065143:60065143&FMT=ABS&FMTS=ABS:FT&date=Jun+01%2C+1990&author=DON+SHANNON&pub=Los+Angeles+Times+(pre -1997 + Fulltext) . Retrieved 2008-06-05 . Missing or empty( help )
- Jump up^ Ferrell, David (2007-05-04). “Burnout Hits Relief Network Too many disasters and many other failures at home are blamed for lackluster public response to recent appeals for help” . Los Angeles Times . p. 1 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ Kelleher, Kathleen (1993-01-10). “Mission to Somalia Poses Danger for Relief Worker Famine: Operation USA’s Neil Frame will take medical supplies gathered by the LA-based relief agency to field hospitals in the war-torn African nation” . Los Angeles Times . p. 1 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ Bryant, Rebecca (1994-02-12). “Sought Donations in Quake Relief Effort” . Los Angeles Times . p. 2 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ Banks, Sandy (1998-11-17). “Reach Out to Lift Up Hurricane Survivors” . Los Angeles Times . p. 1 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ Cardenas, Jose (1999-10-19). “Sending a Rainbow of Relief After the Floods; For many Southland Latinos, aiding Mexico’s storm victims is a means of honoring homeland ties” . Los Angeles Times . p. 1 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “AID GROUPS AMASS RELIEF GEAR” . Long Beach Press-Telegram . 2003-03-19 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “GROUP READIES AID” . Long Beach Press-Telegram . 2004-12-30 . Retrieved 2008-06-05 .
- Jump up^ “Los Angeles Based Operation USA Appeals for Funds to Aid in Myanmar (Burmese) Cyclone Disaster” . Fox Business Network . Retrieved 2008-06-04 . [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “Operation USA Responded to Earthquake Devastation in Sichuan, China; Agency Appealed for Funds to Rebuild Schools and Clinics, which, as of September 2010, it was rebuilt 2 large primary schools outside Chengdu and 5 village level health clinics outside Chongqing” . PR Newswire . Retrieved 2008-06-04 .
- Jump up^ “Operation USA Aided Midwestern Flood Victims.” Earthquakes in Haiti (2010) and Chile (2010) as well as flooding in Pakistan (2010) also generated major relief actions by Operation USA including the construction of a $ 1 million primary school in Jacmel The Gap provided 119,000 winter garments for northern Japan through Operation USA. In 2013, Operation USA aided victims of Hurricane Sandy in New York and New Jersey and tornado victims in Oklahoma City.As 2014 is underway, a major new project involves the Native American Reservation at Pine Ridge, South Dakota and projects in Henan Province, China “. AlertNet . Retrieved 2008-06-26 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Russ Baker (2002-03-31). “Resourceful man of mercy” . The Philadelphia Inquirer . p. 16 . Retrieved 2008-06-06 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d Jim Lipson (1996-03-06). “Music: Regaining Consciousness” . Tucson Weekly . Retrieved 2008-06-06 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b c d e f g h i j Richard S. Ginell (1986-08-11). “PLACIDO DOMINGO PUTS HIS VOICE TO WORK” . Daily News of Los Angeles . p. 13 . Retrieved 2008-06-07 .
- Jump up^ Daniel Southerland (1982-01-26). “Foreign aid, Hollywood-style: cut red tape, go to the top” . Christian Science Monitor . Retrieved 2008-06-09 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b GEORGE RUSH AND JOANNA MOLLOY (1995-10-23). “Berth Announcement: These Babies Have It All” . New York Daily News . Retrieved 2008-06-07 . [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ Bill Higgins (1991-10-22). “Operation USA Raises $ 200,000 at Benefit” . Los Angeles Times . p. 3 . Retrieved 2008-06-06 .
- Jump up^ Kathy Blumenstock (2007-01-26). “Her newest role: Surprised recipient Julie Andrews will receive the Screen Actors Guild’s 43rd Life Achievement Award on Sunday” . Los Angeles Times . p. E15 . Retrieved 2008-06-06.
- ^ Jump up to:a b c Bill Higgins (1999-01-06). “And justice for all musicians: ‘Club’ features Cooder and Havana Musicians” . Variety . Retrieved 2008-06-07.
- Jump up^ ANDREW EPSTEIN (1980-03-16). “BENEFIT TV SHOW RAISES $ 1 MILLION” . The Los Angeles Times . p. 1 . Retrieved 2008-06-07 .
- Jump up^ “USC Annenberg School for Hosting Special Screening on USC Campus Of Paramount Pictures’ ‘Beyond Borders ‘ ” . PR Newswire . 2003-09-25. Retrieved 2008-06-07 .
- Jump up^ Janice Page (2005-09-03). ” ‘ Roll Bounce’ slides back to the ’70s with an earnest, feel-good vibe” . The Boston Globe . Retrieved 2008-06-07 .
- Jump up^ “Real-Life Participants Of” The Killing Fields “To Hold Press Conference” . PR Newswire . 1984-11-13 . Retrieved 2008-06-09 .